Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Japanese

The Japanese pay respect regularly

As a people, the Japanese possess patience without bounds. Here pedestrian stop lights are common along the sidewalks. In both directions there will be a clear view for a hundred meters with no vehicle in sight, but everyone will calmly wait until the sidewalk light turns green before crossing the street. We spend far too much vacation time on sidewalk intersections.


On lines and queues, the Japanese are wonderfully respectful of the order. You can assume with assurance, and relax, as they will be considerate and deferential to you and with all others. I find this to be very pleasant and low stress travel. There is no jostling or crowding.  Everyone is polite. Japanese ease and patience makes this country to be what I believe is the best service of anywhere I have visited.

 
Good Lessons






In Japan, there must be an excellent system of social supports that depends on government, family and temple communities. I have seen no evidence of mental illness or vagrancy in the streets. It appears that every able body person works, takes pride and is respected for their social contribution. This is a society that ingrains a sense of self-respect and where panhandling is never a consideration.


These are also a profoundly honest and trustful people. Everywhere we walk bicycles on racks are left unlocked. In neighborhoods, garage doors are open and gardening supplies, scooters, golf clubs are all visible to street traffic and yet there is no evidence of concerns for robbery. At the registers, the Japanese make extra efforts to clearly and deliberately communicate the charges and count your change. 


Hakone Gora - Outdoor Art Museum





Children as young as 6 and 7 walk city neighborhoods, and play in the parks and playgrounds without hovering parental supervision.

When I travel I look for graffiti to gauge the underbelly of unrest. I have found none in Japan.




The Japanese also have a really wonderful sense of humor. They spontaneously break into healthy, genuine laughter. They find humor everywhere. It is a treat to observe a group of school girls walking down the street. All they do is giggle and laugh. We see many exhibitions of sincere warmth and affection that they share with each other.

As Jane and I try to use our limited Japanese, they find us a hilarious source of amusement.



Takayama. Lawrie's 25th Birthday - That's a 4L gift bottle of Suntory Japanese Whiskey

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time so far! Amazing that everything is so orderly and clean. As a side note, the Japanese make some top notch whiskies. Here are a few that you may want to try during your visit.

    Suntory Toki
    Yamazaki 12
    Hakushu 12 & 18 year old
    Hibiki Japanese Harmony
    Nikka Coffey Grain
    Nikka Coffey Malt
    Yamazaki Sherry Cask
    Tokiwa Iwai

    Enjoy and keep posting!

    John & Ann

    ReplyDelete